The American University of Barbados is one of the best Medical Universities in the Caribbean. American University of Barbados provides a 5 ½ years MD Program for high school graduates and a 4 years MD program for University/College science graduates. This medical education leads to United States medical board certification to practice in the USA after taking USMLE exams. Apart from practicing medicine, this education opens varied avenues in the field of medical sciences. American University of Barbados follows a USA styled curriculum. The American University of Barbados, School of Medicine, Barbados and Era’s Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, India are under the same umbrella of management. Era’s Lucknow Medical College and Hospital is among Top Medical Colleges of India and is recognized by the Government of India. American University of Barbados, School of Medicine is a perfect platform to achieve a successful medical career.
Certification and Registrations:
- Chartered by the Government of Barbados.
- Licensed and Recognized by the Ministry of Education, Barbados.
- Registered by Barbados Accreditation Council.
- Approved and Listed with WHO/AVICENNA and IMED/FAIMER Directories.
- Listed with Medical Council of India
- The latest 3D medical animation technology
- Structured interactive studies
- Problem-based learning
- Integrated curriculum
- Extensive preparations in 5th semester for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
- Students can take their clinical rotations in the USA Loretto Hospital, Jackson park Hospital at Chicago, Atlanta Medical Center at Atlanta. They can also go to the University of Malta, Medical School at Malta, Philippines, Barbados and India.
- The University admits students three times a year in the month of January, May and September
- Fee structure is very reasonable compared to most medical schools in the western countries
- Highly qualified in-house faculty and guest faculty from various countries
- Scholarships are available for eligible students.
- Indian students can now do their clinical rotation at half the cost at Barbados if they can’t afford the United States rotation.
- Medium of instruction is English
- Small batches enhancing personalized mentoring
- Barbados has been rated as the safest Caribbean country by the United Nations and has a tropical climate
- We provide assistance in visa (application and processing) for students and their guardians
- Barbados is linked with direct flights from the USA, Canada, UK and Europe
|Semester||Fee (in US Dollars)|
|Semester I||$ 5,000|
|Semester II||$ 5,000|
|Semester III||$ 5,000|
|Semester Iv||$ 5,000|
|Semester||Fee (in US Dollars)|
|Semester I||$ 6,500|
|Semester II||$ 6,500|
|Semester III||$ 6,500|
|Semester IV||$ 6,500|
|Semester V (Pre-Clinical)||$ 6,500|
Student has to pay additional $1400 if Pre-Clinical Semester is opted in USA.
|Total||Fee Per Semester (in US Dollars)|
|Semester I||$ 7,900|
|Semester II||$ 7,900|
All payments must be remitted to AUB by Draft/wire transfer only. AUB has not authorised any person to collect Tuition fees or any other monies on its behalf. No monies paid to any person other than AUB will be credited to the student’s account with AUB. Tuition fees are subject to change.
Housing, Transportation and Living Expenses
$500 to $800 /month
Application Fee: $100
Student Visa and Processing Fee: $250
Tuition Fee deposit (at the time of acceptance)
Following Refund Policy applies for students who choose to pay the tuition fee in full by semester and yearly basis. Note: This refund policy does not apply to students who choose tuition payment plan option and Transfer students who join the program in the middle of the course.
Request for withdrawal from the school of medicine must be addressed to the dean of the academic medicine and must be in writing. Date of withdrawal will be the date, the Dean receives the hand-delivered request or the date on which the notice is received through the mail or other delivery system. Charges such as deposits, fees, printed material, etc. are neither prorated nor refunded. A refund shall only be given where the cause of withdrawal is justified by reason of emergency. The refund shall be given within 90 days of withdrawal. In case of withdrawal prior to matriculation, the University levies an administrative charge of $ 500.
The University tuition refund policy to be applied in the event a continuing student leaves the School after the beginning of the semester is as follows.
Refund application received after 30 days from the date of leaving school will not be eligible for refund.
Attendance of two (2) weeks or less Refund 50%
Attendance of three (3) weeks or less Refund 40%
Attendance of four (4) weeks Refund 30%
Thereafter No refund
Textbooks must be purchased. Basic Science curriculum texts cost approximately $300-$500 U.S./per semester and can be purchased through the University bookstore.
Clinical Attire & Medical Kits
Clinical Attire, consisting of lab jackets and scrubs, dissection kits and patient examination kits will be required during your Basic Sciences semesters. These items can be purchased in the University bookstore.
Health Insurance is mandatory while students are enrolled at American University of Barbados. Students can either enroll in a plan provided by the university or can purchase their own insurance.